When I started this campaign I really didn't think it would take off as it did but I really wanted to try. Not for me but for many people in my life but manly my Son, my Mum and my Dad. My Son because I wanted to make him proud, my Mum who we sadly lost to a brain tumour when I was 13 years old and my Dad who is a testicular cancer survivor (36 years! Go Dad)!
Three weeks in however, that's all changed. Since my blog, Facebook and Twitter has gone live (and crazy)! I've had so many people contact me and tell me their stories of cancer invading their lives or someone they loves life. Many times my husband has found me sobbing into my iPad, because you can't help but be saddened by these stories and honoured at the same time that someone you don't know has chosen to share it with you.
Honestly? There has been moments I'm ashamed to admit when I did think "why me?" but lately...not so much! Instead I think "Thank god it was me!". Thank god it was me and not my little boy Mason, or my step daughter Kiera, or my husband Steve, or anyone I love! The thought of that scares me more than the thought of it coming back! So now, failure is not an option this campaign WILL succeed! Failure is not an option!
Campaign aside, I was asked by my lovely Godmother to contact a daughter of a friend of hers who unfortunately is exactly where I was a year ago. Just like I did, she's also has a baby who is 4 months old and she's on her second chemo. The first thing I wanted to tell her? "It gets easier I promise", why? Because at the time I really wish that someone would of said that to me! The truth is no one around you knows if it will and they ar just as scared as you are. I do because I've been in that ladies position and I've faced everything she's about to face. I hope the things we talked about and the advice I gave has given her comfort if nothing else. My godmother is a breast cancer survivor herself and although the circumstances were different so was a comfort to me in my dark days. I would do anything to be able to give that to someone else.
No comments:
Post a Comment